Monday, September 19, 2011

Where I'm from ( a writing exercise)

I am from bubble baths, from Tupperware measuring cups,
and splashing in the kitchen sink.
I am from the dogwood tree blooming white flowers in my Grandmother's yard.
I am from the honeysuckles, four leaf clovers,
and the walks in the park picking mushrooms.

I am from the angel bear on top of the Christmas tree
and overbearing voices,
I am from my mother's side of the family.
I am from the loud laughter and
inappropriate holiday conversations
From don't make me pull this car over, and Stop biting your nails!
I am from Sunday morning masses and stained glass windows,
polyester plaid skirts and floral Easter dresses,
  Our Fathers and Hail Marys.

I’m from many different houses,
 tomatoes in the garden and pizza on Friday night.
From the spray painted hopscotch in the driveway,
the bickering grandparents during a
 Pinochle  game,
and the sister who wanted to kill me.
I am from the boxes of photos in the bottom of the closet
 and Polaroids labeled with black magic marker.

3 comments:

  1. That's nice; I'm from Fairfield. ~Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think my family were the only ones who waited until Thanksgiving and Christmas to have inappropriate and embarrassing conversations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this prompt. Thanks for letting me know where you're from :)

    ReplyDelete